The Elementary years in your child’s educational career set the groundwork for all the years to come. Our teachers will take the time to focus on building Christian character, developing skills your student will need for a lifetime, as well as laying a solid foundation in academics.
Kindergarten and First Grade
These first initial years at Valley see tremendous growth in independence and social interaction. From reading sentences to addition and subtraction to Bible verse memorization to building friendships, your child will develop a strong academic, social, and spiritual foundation for the years to come. Our youngest students participate in all the specials their older counterparts experience which include P.E., music, art, technology, and library.
Some of our students favorite activities during these two formative years include:
- The “marriage celebration” of Q and U to emphasize how these two letters always appear together.
- An afternoon set aside dedicated to reading called “Read and Feed”.
- A full day of fun to celebrate the 100th day of school.
2nd through 5th grade
Year by year, your student will build upon the educational groundwork laid in their first years at Valley. They’ll continue to explore the world through Christ-centered academics and project based learning. Independence is granted bit by bit as each year more choices are given with added responsibility.
Here are a few lessons our students look forward to:
- In 2nd grade, our students create habitat dioramas and then use their knowledge to “teach” other students in the building including the high school biology class.
- Students in 3rd grade study about the importance of communities. At the end of the school year, they conclude their lessons with a “Market Day” where 3rd graders design and market their own product to sell. The entire school is invited to shop and purchase the products they’ve made.
- In 4th grade, the students culminate their Literature Circle units by choosing their final project which they then share with the class in an afternoon dedicated to reading.
- As the capstone to Iowa History, our 5th graders travel to Des Moines to visit the Iowa State capital where they’ll get to walk through the hallways and see for themselves the areas from which our state is governed.
Find out more about how Valley lays a solid foundation during the Elementary years by scheduling an Educational Success Consultation today!